Thursday, October 25, 2012

Steampunk Black Dress: A Gargantuan Sleeve Ruffle

 
Lord love a duck, what is that THING at the end of my so-elegant sleeve?
 
 
A sleeve ruffle, made smaller than the original, believe it or not. The lace is vintage cotton, so it rather passes the time test, although no, it's not the Brussels lace the October 24, 1868 Harper's Bazar suggested but, eh, I don't love it. It's gone beyond spiritedly poufy to frowsy. I am tucking it in until it's no more than a peep at the edges. Plus, the gathers are going to be ironed into place all the way to the ruffle edge, to tone them down. Bleh.
 


2 comments:

MrsC (Maryanne) said...

Oh truly, I love it! So mad and Victorian!!

ZipZip said...

Dear Mrs. C.,

Yes, it was mad all right. I felt like it would be coming at me overnight, like a sleeve zombie. So the lace went away...

So sorry!

Hugs,

Natalie